Subscribe to InvestmentKit Newsletter


Over 98,821 Regular Readers

Most Useful and Popular Articles

How to Download your Aadhaar card online? Check your LIC policy details online
Best Indian Mutual Funds for 2015 Check your ICICI Prudential policy details online
13 ways to invest in Gold in India Check your SBI Life Insurance policy online
How to get 9% returns from your savings account? Check your aadhar status online


State Bank of India Plans

Unit Plus Super ULIP - New ULIP with multiple benefits
Money Back Plans- Guaranteed Profit
Children Plans - Education / Marriage

Explore Insurance Section

Useful Articles on Insurance


Explore Others Famous Articles

Credit Cards

Indian Government Schemes


Public Provident Fund
  FAQ on PPF
  Online Calculator for PPF
  Advanced PPF Calculator
  Explore More on PPF
NSC Issue
  FAQ on NSC
  Online Calculator of NSC
Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (MIS)
  FAQ on Post Office MIS
  Online Calculator of MIP
Kisan Vikas Patra
  FAQ on KVP
Post Office Recurring Deposit
  Online Calculator for RD
  Advanced Calculator for RD
  Calculator for RD for duration more than 5 years
Taxable Bonds
Senior Citizen Savings Scheme 2004
Comparison of all Government Schemes



Can Income Tax exemption under Section 88 be claimed by the second- named person in case of a joint-holding NSC ?

By all means. In case of a joint holding, the deduction under Section 88 of the Income Tax Act, 1961 can be claimed by either the first holder or the second holder depending on who has contributed the amount.

Can one claim the Section 88 benefit on the interest on the NSC scheme which is deemed to have been reinvested ?

The interest accruing at the end of each year and deemed to have been reinvested upto the 5th year does qualify for tax rebate under section 88 of Income Tax Act.

Will the income tax rebate under Section 88 be available to the husband/father in those cases where the NSCs are purchased by him out of his income in the name of his wife/minor children ?

No, as clarified by the CBDT in their letter No.DIR(HQ)/CH(DT)95/1090 dated 22.8.1995, father/husband cannot claim rebate under section 88 of the ITA where the investment in NSC is made out of the income of wife/minor child.


If the holder of a Savings Certificate dies, who gets the amount due to be paid to the deceased ?

Similar to Bank Accounts a nomination facility is available and necessary for Savings Certificate Schemes and the nominee receives the proceeds due to the deceased person.

If a person dies and is the holder of a savings certificate at the time of death and there is no nomination in place at the time of his death and probate of his will or letters of admiration of his estate or a succession certificate granted under the Indian Succession Act, 1925 (39 of 1925) is not submitted within the three months of the death of the holder to the prescribed authority, then if the sum due on the savings certificate does not exceed the limit as may be prescribed, the concerned authority may disburse the amount to any person appearing to receive it, who will be entitled to receive the sum or to administer the estate of the deceased.

In case of minors where a nominee has not been appointed, the payment can be made to any guardian of the property of the minor appointed by a competent court, or to either parent of the minor.



If a girl makes a deposit and gets married by the time the deposits matures, would there be any problems ?

Any deposit made by or on behalf of a married woman, or on behalf of a woman who marries after the deposit and before it matures, can receive the deposit on maturity , whether or not section 20 of the Indian Succession Act 1925 (39 of 1925) applies to her marriage. The receipt for the money paid to her under this section shall be a sufficient proof of payment.

Can the 'Karta' of a Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) buy NSC in the name of any member of the HUF ?

Yes. When a subscription to the National Savings Certificates is made in the name of any member of the Hindu Undivided Family out of the HUF's income chargeable to tax and the beneficial ownership of this investment vests in the family, the HUF would be entitled to a deduction under Section 88 with reference to such contribution.

How should the interest accrued on subscription to NSC be treated when the subscription is made in the name of a person other than the assessee claiming the rebate ?

The interest accrued on the subscription would only be given to the person/persons who purchased the NSCs out of their taxable income.


Most Popular Links

Articles for Investors
Ask anything from Experts

Indian Mutual Funds

Latest NAV
Track your Mutual Funds
Mutual Fund for Beginners


Live Rates & Calendar
MetaTrader Indicators


Subscribe to our Newsletter
Our Other Famous Websites

Do you like this website? Get future updates via our Free newsletter.

Email ID:


Our Network:          
 Privacy and Disclaimer

Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation.

Mutual Fund investments are subject to market risks. Please read the offer document carefully before investing.