How to transfer house title among brothers with minimal cost?

I live in Mumbai & my husband owns a house property along with his elder brother in 50:50 ratio. Now he (my husband) wants to remove the elder brothers name and put my name instead. How can this be done at a minimal cost?

3 Replies to “How to transfer house title among brothers with minimal cost?”

  1. I’m not familiar with Mumbai laws, but in my State in the USA, you can just go down to the courthouse and pay the nominal filing fee personally.

  2. All things cost about the same – but the Elder brother must release his rights to the house by a paper – for a consideration – that is your husband must give him something of worth for his share of the house. With that piece of paper (we call it a “quit deed” here in the U.S.A.) he will go and Add your name to the deed which should not cost too much. If your husband doesn’t do these things – then when he passes – you will only be entitled to 1/4 of the property (1/2 of your husbands 1/2).

  3. You are asking as if he can take an eraser and erase his brother’s name in the registered agreement copy and add yours.

    These are legal matters and only the owner can execute a legal deed.

    Your B-i-L is 50% owner of the house and only he can execute a deed in favour of your husband or you.

    He can execute:
    Release or Relinquish Deed: A person relinquishes or gives up his claim or right or title, in the interest or a share of the entire property or part there of, in favour of another person.
    Gift Deed: Gift is the transfer of certain existing movable or immovable property made voluntarily and without consideration, by one person called the donor, to another, called the donee, and accepted by or on behalf of the donee.

    The same has to be executed on a correct stamp paper and registered.

    Your husband can do nothing.


Leave a Reply to Hung Phat Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

2 × one =