How should I complete the remaining income tax related formalities?

I am salaried and TDS is deducted by my employer. However I failed to inform my employer about income through fixed deposit and savings bank interest (which is taxable though not of large amount in my case.) Can anybody please clarify my doubts regarding filing of IT return? So far I had taken help of one expert about this but this time I want to do it myself through e-filing.
1. Can I deposit the extra tax (self-assessment tax) to the government through my internet banking facility of savings bank account?
2. Earlier I failed to take into account correctly a few deductions from income and so some extra tax had been deducted by my employer. Can I now myself correct this and obtain the right amount of tax to be paid and then deposit the same through above procedure?
3. It seems there are two ways of e-filing, one is to follow IT department of govt of India and the other is to use help of some websites. Which one is better for some one like me (without any experience of e-filing)? It is compulsory to print ITR forms in colour printer (my printer is unfortunately black-and-white)? I have asked too many questions and I thank anybody willing to offer a little help.
Further clarification needed!!!
I just checked the form 26AS and was surprised to note that my TDS is not shown. I am sure this had been deducted by my employer; may be they are taking time to put it on the web. But the question is will I be allowed to complete the e-filing process with the current status of 26AS?
I thank Max for his detailed answer.

Rate these answers

One Reply to “How should I complete the remaining income tax related formalities?”

  1. 1. Yes, you can deposit extra tax using your net banking account
    Here’s the link:
    Use challan 280 (300-Self Assessment Tax) as you’re salaried person. After you pay your taxes, you’ll get BSR code, amount paid, date of payment and serial no. You’ll need to enter those details into the Excel utility.

    2. While filing the return using Excel utility available at Income Tax site, you can fill in 4 important fields
    – Income from Salary, bank FD interest, etc.
    – TDS deducted
    – Deducation claimed under Section 80C (PPF, 5 year FD, Life Insurance premium, etc.)
    – Taxes paid.
    And, the excel utility will automatically calculate any balance payable or refundable.

    3. According to me, the official Income Tax site is better. It’s free, secure and secure. They offer free Excel forms that can be downloaded from this link
    I think Form ITR 1 is applicable for you. (You’re having income from salary only).

    You can easily fill the form, create XML file and then upload that XML file to the Income Tax site. You’ll get acknowledgement, which can be printed in black ink. Print it, sign it and send it via normal post to Income Tax CPC.

    You can also use external websites like TaxSpanner:
    If you have account at State Bank of India, then use this link:

    Also, make sure you check Form 26AS from
    and obtain TDS certificates from your employer before you file your return.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *