2 Replies to “How do I claim my children who are not eligible for a Social security number?”

  1. They must have an SSN or ITIN for you to claim them. If your children are here legally based upon your visa they SHOULD be eligible for a work-restricted SSN. Take your paperwork to the nearest SSA office and see if you can get one for them.

    If you cannot get SSNs for them, you’ll need to attach a separate Form W-7 for each of them to your first tax return, along with apostilled copies of their proof of ID (usually the ID pages of their passports) and mail the entire package to the Austin, Texas Service Center.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 × 3 =