claiming the house in 2008 if my name is not on the mortgage, but property tax?

hi everyone! i want to know if i can claim the house this year if my name is not on the mortgage but on the property tax? my brother's name is on the mortgage, but BOTH our names are on the property tax. he will NOT be claiming, because he said i can claim it. so, can i? and yes, i have paid more than half the mortgage since last june and i paid all the property tax this past year.

4 Replies to “claiming the house in 2008 if my name is not on the mortgage, but property tax?”

  1. If your name is on title (the DEED), then you can claim whatever you paid on the mortgage and on the property taxes. The deductions have to be claimed by the one who paid them. Whoever wrote the check gets the deduction.

    Jim Kirby, CPA/PFS, CFP, CFS

  2. A valid deduction requires that you own, owe and pay the amount due. If you only own half of the property, you can only claim half of the property taxes. Your brother can’t claim the other half because he didn’t pay them.

    He’s got a similar problem with you paying for half of the mortgage….

  3. if u are talking of claiming benefits for income tax purposes, no u cant. the house has to be in your name to avail income tax exemption of property tax and the interest on load paid.

  4. If you aren’t on the mortgage, you can’t claim the interest or any part of it even if you paid it. But if you are on the deed, you can claim the part of the property tax than you actually paid, if you itemize.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

four × four =