can i claim my share in the ancestral property and my fathers properety when they are alive?

I am a 25 year old married woman.It was a love marriage against the wishes of the parents. I am not invited nor have they called me since my marriage at the age of 20 years. Now my father and mother are pressurising me to sign a surrender of right deed regarding the ancestral property and the parental property. Do i have the right to claim my share through civil suit in the ancestral property and parental property when my parents are still alive.Can they relinquish my rights to the property by proclamation. Please answer

3 Replies to “can i claim my share in the ancestral property and my fathers properety when they are alive?”

  1. Depends on the laws of your country.

    In Canada you can’t claim any property left to you in a will, until the writers of the will are dead.

  2. It sounds as though there must be a family trust account set up. Otherwise all they have to do is write you out of the will. You wouldn’t have to sign anything. Even if they thought you and your husband would contest the will there’s a few clauses they can add that really discourage that.
    You need to get more information and then google inheritance laws where you live. The trust might be set up so that you don;t get anything until the people occupying the land die. Then it is either split up or used for a purpose and profits split. This is what we did with the my grandpa’s wheat farm.
    Once you find out what they want you to sign away, familiarize your self with some of the laws or statutes. Then look for a good inheritance lawyer,some will do a free consultation and you might find out just about everything you need to.
    Whatever you do, you don’t want to sign anything without knowing all you can about what it is.

  3. You can not claim any any share in your parental property during their lifetime as it is their self acquired property which they can dispose off during their lifetime as they wish and after their death you get share in the property provided no will is made with respect to the property in question by them in favour of anyone else and not in your favour.
    However you can claim your share as a born copacenary in the ancestral/copacenary property of the Hindu undivided family if this concerns Hindus governed by the Mitakshara Hindu Law.
    Whether there exist any ancestral/copacenary property or not can only be ascertained after identifying the nature of property in question.
    Any property which has been with the great grand father as Karta/Manger of the Hindu family, passed down to present fourth generation, remained intact and not divided or distributed between the various copacenaries in the undivided Hindu family can be identified as ancestral/copacenary property.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

5 × 1 =